Why do you need a Survey carried out by Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd on a commercial property? Because, in a similar manner to a residential buyer forewarned is forearmed. Choosing the right survey will help highlight any serious problems and advise you of the specific risks before you commit to the process of buying, leasing or even selling a property.
Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd offers two different types of survey (outlined below).
Reliable and cost effective, these reports carry the full weight of being carried out by a fully qualified member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – the industry’s most respected authority on surveying.
Pre Purchase/Lease Condition Surveys
- Choose this report if you’re looking to lease a property or even if you are a property owner seeking to ascertain the condition of your investment. It focuses purely on the condition of the property by setting out the following:
• clear ‘traffic light’ ratings of the condition of different parts of the building, services, outbuildings, showing problems that require varying degrees of attention;
• a summary of the risks to the condition of the building; and
• other matters including guarantees, planning and building control issues for your legal advisers.
- As a potential leasee of a building this survey is designed to give you the the knowledge of the condition of the building before committing to entering into a leasing agreement, and can also be used as a frame of reference at the end of the leasing period for any repairs or making good which may be required under the terms of the agreement.
- As a building owner this survey will provide you with an indication as to the state of your property and provide you with an overview of any items of maintenance and minor repairs required to keep your investment in prime commercial condition.
- Formerly called a structural survey, you could choose the building survey if you’re dealing with a large, older or run-down property, a building that is unusual or altered, or if you’re planning major works. It costs more than the Condition Report noted above because it gives detailed information about the structure and fabric of the property. It includes:
• a thorough inspection and detailed report on a wider range of issues;
• a description of visible defects and potential problems caused by hidden flaws;
• an outline of repair options and the likely consequences of inactivity;
• and advice for your legal advisers and details of serious risks and dangerous conditions.
- As an owner or occupier dealing with an older or run down property this survey would highlight any serious issues with the existing building and highlight the works necessary to return the property to a standard or any major items which would require attention prior the the building being occupied, redeveloped, renovated or extended.
Additional Surveying Services:
Specific Defect Inspections
- This type of survey and report is required when either an owner, occupier or potential property purchaser has identified a problem with a building. As the name suggests this is an inspection focusing on a single element and is intended to provide an in depth analysis of any issues identified and their likely causes. Examples of such reports would be inspections to investigate water ingress through and external element, cracking to the building fabric, or bowing of external walls etc.
Maintenance inspections and reports
- Owners or occupiers of older properties may require the preparation of a schedule of maintenance to ensure the building is maintained at the optimum condition. This type of inspection is similar to the Condition Report noted above but goes further by creating a schedule of maintenance for the fabric and finishes of the building to either restore the building to a pristine condition and maintain it at this level or to prevent further deterioration. The form and extent of the maintenance report is dependent on the client requirements and can be adjusted to give a rolling programme of maintenance actions to be carried out over any given time period or a single schedule of maintenance actions designed to bring the property back to a standard.
Remedial and Refurbishment/revitalisation Design
- Either as an action generated from an inspection or report or as a standalone commission, Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd is able to create 'turn-key' solutions tailored to the clients needs. The creation of schedules of works and specifications for remedial actions or the refurbishment/revitalisation of a property can be as focused or extensive as the client requires and can even be extended to the management of the repairs themselves and the associated contracts to provide a full service through to the completion.
Architectural Services: New Build and Extensions
- Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd has a flexible and all encompassing approach. Able to undertake new build design commissions for small to large works in any sector. A full service is available spanning the whole project life-cycle beginning with initial brief and feasibility, through detailed design and management of the build process to delivery of the completed building.
- Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd appreciate that the decision to build is one not taken lightly and so understand that perhaps more work is required in the initial stages to investigate the possibilities of a project before giving the 'go-ahead'. Feasibility studies are one of the services offered to customers to explore a proposed projects structural solution, aesthetics, environmental impact as well as any legal, planning or financial implications implications.
Extensions to existing commercial properties
- In a similar manner to new build commissions, Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd is able to offer all encompassing customer focused solutions tailored to the unique requirements of the customer. A full service spanning the whole project life-cycle as noted above is available together with feasibility studies if required.
- Included within these services is liaison with the relevant authorities to secure any approvals necessary in terms of planning and building control.
Commercial Surveying and Architectural Services
Bowman Surveying and Design Ltd knows that building surveying and architecture is more than materials and building fabric. We work with our clients to maintain and craft memorable spaces.
Tel: 07773 089767
Covering South East Northumberland: Including Blyth, Cramlington, Morpeth, Newcastle upon Tyne and Alnwick (other areas covered on request)